Facetten van de Kunst (Facets of the Arts) brings musicians and creative artists of all disciplines together. These fruitful collaborations bring forth compositions, visual art, storytelling and the written word—and inspired performances of music, played by musicians from the richly diverse Amsterdam musical community.
One of the aims of Facetten is to cast a spotlight on art and artists, writers and composers from the area Amsterdam Noord. Noord is considered to be culturally deprived but in fact houses many working artists and musicians. A number of first performances and exhibitions of new works have been occasioned by Facetten commissions. And each performance is in itself a new composition of elements never before combined in that particular way.
Facetten programs have been sought out by festivals such as Dordtmonumenteel, Festival van Vlaanderen, en the concert series Kasteelconcerten Kennemerland.
Facetten’s new home base in Zaandam opens up new possibilities of collaboration with artists and musicians, extending the project reach beyond Amsterdam. Composer Claudia Rumondor is among the first of the Zaanse creatives to contact Facetten, and we look forward to a joint project in the not-so-distant future.
Facetten performances are informal and intimate events that take place in unusual locations: historic churches, a warehouse, a restaurant with a striking view of ships crossing the IJ, the terrace of a café on a dike. The combination of music and another art form in an unexpected setting forges a connection between audience, performers, and artists, who often mingle with an after-concert drink.
– Julia Barnes, artistic direction and production –
Members of the board
Julia Barnes, chairwoman
Nanny Roed Lauridsen, secretary
Esther Zwennes, treasurer
Ruth Noyon, co-founder
Facetten contributing artists and musicians sinds 2002
- Julia Barnes: project creation, viola, composer
- Julia Henneman: actress, writer, Henneman Mooie Zaken
- Sanne Spruijt: componiste
- Nanny Roed Lauridsen: sound explorer and composer, project design
- Floor Buschenhenke: poet and writer
- Elske de Kruijter: graphic design, logo, maps
- Jennifer Fritts: street theatre
- Anne la Berge: fluitist and composer
- Marjoke de Heer: ceramic artist
- Stijn Seip: artist, drawings, paintings
- Ronald Vogel: graphic design, website
- Aafke Steenhuis: writer and painter
- Tonie van Marle: visual artist, translator and literary research
- Fred Portegies Zwart: poet
- Esther Noyon: Venetian masks
- Nancy Wiltink: research and story-telling
- James Mclaren: cello
- Vaughan Schlepp: piano and harpsichord
- Heleen Hulst: violin